HOLLY RIDGE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A police officer in Onslow County has passed away.
Lt. Deron Jones of the Holly Ridge Police Department died Sunday from health complications, police told NewsChannel 12. He was 49 years old.
Jones was with Holly Ridge Police for eight years as a patrol lieutenant, the department said.
He was a law enforcement officer for 20 years, and had served with the Onslow County Sheriffs Office and North Topsail Beach Police Department.
In addition, Jones was a Marine Corps scout sniper, and served in Desert Shield and Desert Storm.
Onslow County also lost another law enforcement officer to a medical issue recently. A sheriff's deputy serving as a bailiff died in court Tuesday afternoon, officials said. (CLICK HERE to read more.)
- New BREAKING NEWS: Man stabbed by girlfriend in New Bern
- Updated Blast near Bogota bullring injures 31, many of them police, reports say
- Updated Limbaugh on the news media: 'They're enemies of Trump'
- State high school basketball playoff pairings released
- Police search for suspect in deaths of Indiana teens who vanished on hike