HOLLY RIDGE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A police officer in Onslow County has passed away.
Lt. Deron Jones of the Holly Ridge Police Department died Sunday from health complications, police told NewsChannel 12. He was 49 years old.
Jones was with Holly Ridge Police for eight years as a patrol lieutenant, the department said.
He was a law enforcement officer for 20 years, and had served with the Onslow County Sheriffs Office and North Topsail Beach Police Department.
In addition, Jones was a Marine Corps scout sniper, and served in Desert Shield and Desert Storm.
Onslow County also lost another law enforcement officer to a medical issue recently. A sheriff's deputy serving as a bailiff died in court Tuesday afternoon, officials said. (CLICK HERE to read more.)
- New Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte