JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A section of Highway 17 in Onslow County has reopened after a tractor-trailer fire shut the road down for several hours.
According to Beth Purcell of Jacksonville Police, the tractor-trailer caught fire just before noon Friday on the Highway 17 bypass near the Louis Sewell, Jr. Bridge. Highway 17 westbound in that area was shut down as crews worked to put out the blaze. That section of road has since reopened.
The were no reports of injuries, Purcell said, as crews worked to determine the cause. Purcell said the incident was not a crash, and no other vehicles were involved.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of two nuns in Mississippi
- Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response