JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - A section of Highway 17 in Onslow County has reopened after a tractor-trailer fire shut the road down for several hours.
According to Beth Purcell of Jacksonville Police, the tractor-trailer caught fire just before noon Friday on the Highway 17 bypass near the Louis Sewell, Jr. Bridge. Highway 17 westbound in that area was shut down as crews worked to put out the blaze. That section of road has since reopened.
The were no reports of injuries, Purcell said, as crews worked to determine the cause. Purcell said the incident was not a crash, and no other vehicles were involved.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms