PITT COUNTY - Highway 43 near Chicod School is reopened following a deadly accident this afternoon. The highway was shut down for more than an hour. The highway patrol has now released the name of the victim killed.
Sgt. Weaver with the highway patrol says Christopher Tripp, 34, of New Bern, crossed the center line and hit an oncoming pickup truck head-on. Tripp died at the scene.
The accident happened around 4 p.m. on Highway 43 near Chicod School. The road had to be shut down about a half-mile south of the school.
The driver of the pickup truck, David Yoakem, 39, was transported to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville. Sgt. Weaver says Yoakem is in serious condition and undergoing surgery at Vidant.
Troopers say Tripp was at-fault for the accident, and therefore, no charges will be filed.
- Updated Manchester attack: What we know and don't know
- Former Windsor police officer convicted for role in narcotics ring
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck