OCRACOKE - High winds have led N.C. Department of Transportation officials to suspend the Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry route.
A ststement Friday from NCDOT said conditions are unsafe for the ferry to cross because the winds are gusting up to 50 mph and the water depth in the inlet is too shallow.
The Pamlico Sound routes from Swan Quarter and Cedar Island to Ocracoke also could be suspended because of the weather.
A winter storm is expected to affect the area through Friday night and into Saturday.
For up-to-date status on the situation at Hatteras and other routes, travelers can sign-up to receive messages on Twitter by going to www.twitter.com/ncdot_ferry or call the Hatteras terminal at 252-986-2353 for updates.
- Updated WCTI's Anna Bulszewicz announces she's leaving the anchor desk
- Updated Pence tries for damage control abroad but allies still wary
- Updated Investigation underway after teen shot in New Bern
- Updated Border Patrol shooting of Mexican goes to Supreme Court
- Updated Israeli soldier sentenced in Palestinian killing