MANNS HARBOR - High winds have led N.C. Department of Transportation officials to suspend the Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry route.
A statement Friday from NCDOT said conditions are unsafe for the ferry to cross because the winds are gusting up to 50 mph and the water depth in the inlet is too shallow.
The Pamlico Sound routes from Swan Quarter and Cedar Island to Ocracoke also could be suspended because of the weather.
A winter storm is expected to affect the area through Friday night and into Saturday.
- Updated Microsoft expected to launch a Surface PC, Windows 10 updates
- Updated Calais Jungle: Fires rage in migrant camp
- Updated What it takes to work at a haunted house
- Updated Clinton attends Adele concert, singer says 'I am 100%' for her
- Updated Dreamworld accident: victims of theme park tragedy named