MANNS HARBOR - High winds have led N.C. Department of Transportation officials to suspend the Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry route.
A statement Friday from NCDOT said conditions are unsafe for the ferry to cross because the winds are gusting up to 50 mph and the water depth in the inlet is too shallow.
The Pamlico Sound routes from Swan Quarter and Cedar Island to Ocracoke also could be suspended because of the weather.
A winter storm is expected to affect the area through Friday night and into Saturday.
- Updated Alabama Mardi Gras parade canceled after car hits band members
- Updated Google officially reveals its latest robot
- Updated China considers baby bonus for couples to have second child
- Updated Grant Application Intake session slated in Snow Hill
- Updated Starbucks is coming to the home of the espresso