SWAN QUARTER - A local high school principal is facing DWI charges after allegedly driving a school-owned vehicle while drunk.
Troopers say Mattamuskeet Early College High School's Principal, Randy Millar, was driving eastbound on Highway 264, east of Swan Quarter, when he crossed the center line on Saturday. They say Millar then swerved off the road and crashed into a utility pole.
Troopers say Millar had a blood alcohol level of .11 and there were several signs that Millar had been drinking. The car he was driving is owned by the Hyde County School Board. According to the Hyde County School system's website, Millar started his position as the school's principal in September 2012.
According to troopers, the car was not totaled. The fender and panel on the driver's side were damaged.
Troopers tell us during interviews with Millar, he told them he had been in Greenville where he had taken his mother to the grocery store and then had lunch with his son at Tie Breakers Restaurant where he had one drink.
Millar was by himself in the car and was not injured. No other cars were involved.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- State natural, cultural sites and military discounts for Memorial Day