HAVELOCK- Pharoh Cooper made a verbal commitment to the University of South Carolina Thursday, according to Havelock coaches who contacted NewsChannel 12. The 5'11" 184 pound rising senior is one of the highest ranked recruits in the state, but will takes his talents south of the border to play for Steve Spurrier.
Cooper is projected to play cornerback and return kicks for the Gamecocks. The three star recruit also had scholarship offers from NC State and ECU.
Pharoh had 65 catches in 2011 for 1,285 yards and 14 touchdowns. He was named the state championship game's Offensive Most Valuable Player in Havelock's 35-6 win over West Rowan in the 3-A state championship game. He will take over as Havelock's quarterback this season.
Pharoh will join his old Havelock teammate Corey Robinson in Columbia. Robinson is a rising redshirt sophomore who started as an offensive lineman for USC, then switched to defensive line for the 2011 season, and is now back on the offensive line where he is listed as a back coming out of spring practice.
- New Second 15th Street widening project meeting slated for Monday
- New ECU to host four-day symposium focusing on migration issues
- Updated Crowds flock to Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con
- Updated Davis scores big in NBA All-Star Game
- Uber CEO orders 'urgent' investigation after sex harassment allegations