NEW BERN, Craven County - June 27 marks National HIV Testing Day, and the Craven County Health Department offered free screenings on Tuesday to mark the event.
CCHD public health education specialist Krystal Hargett said staying safe starts with protecting yourself and knowing your status.
"Get tested," she said. " We want to just bring awareness because 50 percent of the United States have never been tested."
Hargett said Craven County is considered a "high risk area" and nearby Edgecombe County has one of the highest rates of HIV-positive individuals in the entire state.
- Updated Black Friday shoppers find crowds lighter than last year
- New Bern woman thankful for gift of kidney from husband
- Neighbor pulls victim from house fire in New Bern
- Kinston Police announce arrest of third suspect in 2014 murder case
- Beary Merry Christmas kicks off the holiday season in New Bern