BELMONT, GASTON COUNTY - A gunman has surrendered after releasing three people he held hostage in a drugstore in North Carolina after a robbery attempt.
Belmont Police Sgt. John Wilson said Friday morning that the gunman surrendered several hours after releasing three people who were in the store when he tried to rob it.
The man's name hasn't been released and there was no immediate word on the charges he would face.
Officers were called to the store shortly before 2 a.m. and exchanged gunfire with the man before realizing there were hostages in the store. Wilson says the hostages were released about two hours later and negotiations continued with the gunman.
Wilson says no injuries have been reported.
- New Greenville woman suing Anheuser-Busch for unauthorized use of her photo
- Updated US troops wounded on the front lines in Mosul
- Updated Autism link to herpes during pregnancy may be overstated, experts say
- New Silver Alert issued for missing Beaufort County man
- New North Carolina lawmaker introduces 'life at conception' bill