RALEIGH - A liberal-leaning advocacy group wants legislative leaders to formally scrutinize pay raises of some young staffers in North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory's administration.
Progress NC Action sought the investigation Wednesday after delivering what it called a petition with 19,000 names to the office of Health and Human Services Secretary Aldona Wos (vahsh). The group wants Wos to rescind $20,000-plus raises to two department workers in April. Spokesman Ricky Diaz and policy adviser Matt McKillip make more than $80,000. Both worked on McCrory's campaign last year.
Progress NC Action leader Gerrick Brenner says the raises are wrong when teachers didn't get pay increases this year and Medicaid has cost overruns.
McCrory has defended the raises. Wos told a Raleigh TV station her agency's payroll is $21 million less than a year ago.
- Updated 'Pizzagate' shooting suspect pleads guilty
- Updated NFL seeking Thursday Night Football livestream partner
- Updated Extra security added to several Onslow County schools after alleged threat posted to social media
- Updated Investors yank $8.9 billion from US stocks
- Missing Tennessee student: School chief appeals for girl's safe return