GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - Investigators said unattended cooking led to a fire in Greenville Wednesday morning, displacing two people.
The blaze broke out at a duplex on Shiloh Drive. Fire officials said the call came in at about 4 a.m. Wednesday, and the flames were put out roughly half an hour later.
The blaze was contained to the kitchen, which suffered extensive fire and smoke damage, said officials.
A smoke alarm woke up the two adults inside the home and they escaped safely, according to Greenville Fire/Rescue. The Red Cross helped the displaced victims find another place to stay.
- Updated Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- UPDATE: No bomb discovered after threat made at West Craven Middle School
- Updated Tornado touches down in Sampson Co., warnings issued elsewhere
- Wood Ducks featured on Xfinity car for Charlotte race