SNOW HILL, GREENE COUNTY - The former chief jailer at the Greene County Sheriff's Office stole almost $1,800 from the inmate bank account, Sheriff Lemmie Smith told NewsChannel 12.
Sheriff Smith cited the magistrate's order, which stated that former Jail Administrator Eric Johnson stole $1,788 from the Greene County inmate bank account between April 1 and April 30.
Sheriff Smith said he noticed missing funds in the account, so he alerted the State Bureau of Investigation. Johnson was arrested on Thursday and the S.B.I. charged him with embezzlement.
Johnson has since been released from jail on an unsecured bond, Sheriff Smith said. The suspect's court appearance is scheduled for June 14.
Johnson has been fired from the Greene County Sheriff's Office.
- Updated 10,000 stinging wasps make colossal nest in English country house
- Updated Jury finds second suspect guilty of triple murder at Farmville store
- Updated 7 Memorable Presidential Debate Moments
- Police: Man arrested and charged 29 years after alleged rape
- Clinton and Trump: Who's on the debate guest list