AYDEN - Investigators said a grease fire gutted half a duplex displacing two fires.
Fire crews responded to the home on Liberty Street in Ayden around 7:15 p.m.
They said the fire gutted the left side of the duplex and nothing inside was salvageable.
Two families, three members in one, and two in the other, escaped the fire unharmed.
Fire crews are working with the housing authority and the Red Cross to find the families a place to stay.
- Updated One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating