DURHAM, N.C. - The married couple that runs dozens of Goodwill secondhand stores stretching from Durham to Jacksonville is taking home a combined compensation of nearly $800,000, a sum raising eyebrows for a nonprofit that sells donated clothing and books.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Sunday (http://bit.ly/122G6al ) that Goodwill Community Foundation president Dennis McLain is paid $430,000 a year in salary and benefits. Human resources consulting firm Total Compensation Solutions of Armonk, N.Y. says the average compensation for a nonprofit CEO in the Southeast is $252,000.
His wife Linda is Goodwill's executive vice president and brings home $365,000.
Their compensation rose 20 percent since 2008.
Dennis McLain declined to comment. He is working for Goodwill overseas. Spokeswoman Jenny Martin said she did not know in which country.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New Rousseff's impeachment trial opens in Brazil
- Updated Navy surprises ailing WWII veteran at his home
- Updated Here's what happened to AIDS drug that spiked 5,000%
- Accused Pitt Co. murder suspect officially charged with murder of three children
- Greenville Fire & Rescue classifies overnight fire as intentional