DURHAM, N.C. - The married couple that runs dozens of Goodwill secondhand stores stretching from Durham to Jacksonville is taking home a combined compensation of nearly $800,000, a sum raising eyebrows for a nonprofit that sells donated clothing and books.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reported Sunday (http://bit.ly/122G6al ) that Goodwill Community Foundation president Dennis McLain is paid $430,000 a year in salary and benefits. Human resources consulting firm Total Compensation Solutions of Armonk, N.Y. says the average compensation for a nonprofit CEO in the Southeast is $252,000.
His wife Linda is Goodwill's executive vice president and brings home $365,000.
Their compensation rose 20 percent since 2008.
Dennis McLain declined to comment. He is working for Goodwill overseas. Spokeswoman Jenny Martin said she did not know in which country.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Dog recovering after being hit by hunting arrow
- Updated Kerry in leaked audio: "I lost the argument" for use of force in Syria
- Updated Hurricane Matthew roars toward Jamaica as Category 5
- Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US
- Trump on Clinton: 'I can be nastier than she ever can be'