KING - (AP) - A funeral service is set Friday for a North Carolina state senator who died earlier this week.
Services for the late Sen. Don East of Surry County were slated for Friday afternoon at Poplar Springs Church of Christ in King. Senate leader Phil Berger planned to lead the contingent of senators there.
East died Monday at age 67, a week after having back surgery from which he never recovered. The retired police officer and farm owner served 14 years in the Senate and is on next month's ballot. Republicans in his three-county district must pick a replacement who would join the Senate if East gets the most votes posthumously in his race against a Democrat.
- Updated Pentagon sends ISIS options to White House
- Updated South Korea's THAAD missile defense system gets land swap approval
- Updated Warren Buffett: Red-hot market not in a bubble, still looks 'cheap'
- Updated Transgender boy wins girls' wrestling championship in Texas
- Updated Academy Awards kills off wrong person