HICKORY - (AP) - Funeral services for the North Carolina Marine killed in a training accident in Nevada are being held in his home town of Hickory.
Marine Lance Cpl. Mason Vanderwork was one of seven Marines killed March 18 when a mortar exploded during a training exercise.
A service is being held Monday afternoon at Bass-Smith Funeral Home in Hickory.
After the service, the family is meeting with friends at St. Stephens High School. Vanderwork graduated from the school.
A memorial in the school gym will be held after the meeting at the high school.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- New State natural, cultural sites and military discounts for Memorial Day