KINSTON - The transgender woman who was found murdered on June 16, was laid to rest Thursday.
Mia Henderson, 26, was found in a Baltimore alley by police serving a warrant in the neighborhood.
Henderson, a Kinston native, was known by her birth name, Kevin Long, by family and friends. Thursday, relatives celebrated Henderson's life at the United American Free Will Baptist Tabernacle.
Henderson is also the sibling to NBA LA Clippers player, Reggie Bullock who was at the funeral.
"Kevin was the one to show me to live your own life," Bullock said. "He was the most comfortable person in his own skin. He loved his brothers and sisters and his whole family."
The Kinston native found out about Henderson's death while he was in Los Angeles.
- Updated Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Court declines to hear appeal on Wisconsin voter ID law before election
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of two nuns in Mississippi
- Two kayakers bound for Scotland, looking to make history
- Associated Press botches Hillary Clinton report and response