GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - People in Greenville gathered Friday to raise money for a Greenville police officer battling melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer.
Volunteers sold spaghetti and meat sauce lunches to help Officer Robert Wright, who is currently undergoing treatment for metastatic melanoma.
Wright was at the fundraiser Friday and said he's grateful for all the support.
"If I could get the word out and somebody starts using sunscreen or takes care of themselves skin-wise and sun-wise, that they don't get it, then I'm completely blessed," said Wright.
Wright is heading to UNC Hospitals on Monday to continue his cancer treatment.
- Updated Kerry in leaked audio: "I lost the argument" for use of force in Syria
- Updated Hurricane Matthew roars toward Jamaica as Category 5
- Bees placed on endangered species list -- a first in the US
- Trump on Clinton: 'I can be nastier than she ever can be'
- Illinois to yank billions from Wells Fargo amid scandal