GREENSBORO, N.C. - Florida State senior outfielder James Ramsey has been named the Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Player of the Week, while Wake Forest junior Tim Cooney earned Pitcher of the Week honors.
Ramsey hit .545 on the week (6-of-11), drew seven walks and reached base on 15 of his 19 plate appearances in four combined games against Jacksonville and Florida International. The Alpharetta, Ga., native reached base in nine consecutive at-bats during one stretch, including all five appearances. Ramsey hit a pair of home runs, drove in six runs and scored eight times to key FSU to a 3-1 week. Ramsey, also named a National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball, posted a .737 on-base percentage and a slugging percentage of 1.091.
Cooney shut out Cincinnati on three hits in seven innings of a 7-0 Demon Deacon win on Saturday. The Collegeville, Pa., left-hander recorded 10 strikeouts, giving him 21 in two starts this season. The combined shutout vs. the Bearcats was the first for Wake Forest since a 4-0 win over Maryland in the 2011 regular-season finale. Cooney lowered his ERA for the season to 1.42.
- New Get ready for this year's N.C. Seafood Festival! It opens Friday.
- Updated Obama says Congress made a 'mistake' overriding his veto of Saudi lawsuit bill
- Coast Guard suspends search for missing Cuban migrants
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.