NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - A local man has captured iconic buildings and scenes in New Bern that have never before painted. Almost all his paintings are inspired by places he knew as a boy in the 70's when he delivered papers down town.
"People would ask me 'why not paint pictures of New York?' or "Why don't you paint pictures of something that people already know?' and I say, 'Well that's precisely the reason why I don't want to do that because its already been done'" says King.
King excelled at art when he attended New Bern High School. He says he was offered a job right after graduation as a drafter for Lockheed, but turned it down to pursue his passion.
His work has been published in a book called "The Paper Rout" which will be printed this week. It will be going on sale in downtown New Bern in several locations like Mitchell Hardware, Tryon Palace, and The Bank of the Arts Center.
Some of his full paintings are currently on display at the Bank of the Arts Center.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend