A truck overturned into a Pitt County canal, drowning the driver, the Highway Patrol said.
Tony Carmon, 45, of Winterville, lost control of his truck on Highway 102, near Rountree Road in Ayden, the investigating trooper said. It happened at about 5:45 p.m. Tuesday. The truck then hit a ditch and flipped into a canal.
Carmon drowned because he couldn't escape from his overturned truck, the trooper said.
"He was polite and decent," Harriet Nelson, a family friend, said of Carmon. "He was a perfect person."
According to a company press release, Carmon had three sons and worked as a spreader truck driver for the Coastal Argo Business in Kinston.
Nelson said Carmon spent many years working for farming businesses in the area, and drove on the section of Highway 102 where the accident happened almost every day.
"He'd drive every day, back and forth (on the road), when he worked out here," she said.
According to troopers, wet road conditions likely caused the deadly wreck.
- New Eyewitness claims woman threw kittens from moving car
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn