GASTONIA, GASTON COUNTY - GASTONIA, N.C. (AP) - Police say a 4-year-old Gastonia boy has died after collapsing at a local day care.
Paramedics and police were called to a day care center shortly after 9:30 a.m. Monday. A 911 call reported that someone was having trouble breathing.
An employee told police the boy was playing with children in a room when she noticed him walking strangely. Gastonia police spokeswoman Donna Lahser says the employee said the child then fell down.
The boy was taken to Gaston Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The Gaston County medical examiner is investigating the boy's death. Police say they do not suspect foul play and said there is no indication that the death was caused by anything other than a medical condition.
The boy's name was not released.
- Danger on the roads, at least 14 hurt after storms in N.C.
- One woman's mission brings museum closer to reality
- Unique artifacts awaiting display at Carolina Museum of the Marine
- More than 600 attend Memorial Day ceremony at New Bern cemetery
- Marines at Camp Lejeune put Memorial Day into their own words