FORT BRAGG - The Department of Defense announced Tuesday the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, including a North Carolina-based soldier
They died Sept. 1, in Batur Village, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their unit with small arms fire.
Staff Sgt. Jonathan P. Schmidt, 28, of Petersburg, Va., was killed. He was assigned to 192nd Ordnance Battalion, 52nd Ordnance Group, 20th Support Command (CBRNE), Fort Bragg, N.C.
Also killed was Staff Sgt. Jeremie S. Border, 28, of Mesquite, Texas. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), Torii Station, Japan.
- New New Bern Police arrest man in early-morning shooting
- New Report of rabies reported in Cape Carteret
- Updated White House effort to justify travel ban causes growing concern for some intelligence officials
- New Response to drug activity leads to arrest
- Caught on video: Plane's landing gear collapses in Amsterdam