FORT BRAGG - The Department of Defense announced Tuesday the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom, including a North Carolina-based soldier
They died Sept. 1, in Batur Village, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their unit with small arms fire.
Staff Sgt. Jonathan P. Schmidt, 28, of Petersburg, Va., was killed. He was assigned to 192nd Ordnance Battalion, 52nd Ordnance Group, 20th Support Command (CBRNE), Fort Bragg, N.C.
Also killed was Staff Sgt. Jeremie S. Border, 28, of Mesquite, Texas. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne), Torii Station, Japan.
- Updated Manchester Arena attack: ISIS claims blast that killed 22 at Ariana Grande concert
- Updated Craven County teenager facing rape and kidnapping charges
- Pamlico County man bitten by Lone Star Tick talks about struggles
- Jacksonville couple facing felony animal cruelty charges
- Residents call foul on geese carnage