FORT BRAGG - A Fort Bragg soldier was killed in a parachute accident Monday, base officials announced.
Investigators did not release the identity of the victim, but did say the soldier was part of the XVIII Airborne Corps. The soldier was conducting airborne training when he was killed.
There was no word on what caused the parachute accident. The investigation is ongoing and more details will be released when the victim's family members are notified, base officials said.
"Our prayers are with the soldier's family as they begin to work through this terrible tragedy," said base officials in a statement.
In March, a member of the Navy SEAL team that killed Osama bin Laden was killed when he collided with another SEAL member in midair during training in southern Arizona.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen