FORT BRAGG - A Fort Bragg soldier was killed in a parachute accident Monday, base officials announced.
Investigators did not release the identity of the victim, but did say the soldier was part of the XVIII Airborne Corps. The soldier was conducting airborne training when he was killed.
There was no word on what caused the parachute accident. The investigation is ongoing and more details will be released when the victim's family members are notified, base officials said.
"Our prayers are with the soldier's family as they begin to work through this terrible tragedy," said base officials in a statement.
In March, a member of the Navy SEAL team that killed Osama bin Laden was killed when he collided with another SEAL member in midair during training in southern Arizona.
- Updated Verizon cuts Yahoo deal price by $350 million
- Updated Crowdfunding site helps make adoptions possible
- Updated Bodies of more than 70 migrants wash up on Libya's coast
- Updated Residents evacuate after levee breach in California
- Updated Acupuncture shows promise in migraine treatment, study says