A soldier based in North Carolina was killed in Afghanistan.
Spc. Jonathan Batista died Sunday, when enemy forces attacked his unit with gunfire, according to the Department of Defense.
The 22-year-old Batista was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg. He was a native of New Jersey.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Pence: Trump is 'a CEO at work' on immigration
- A state politician voicing concerns over the Whitewater Center reopening following amoeba death