A soldier based in North Carolina was killed in Afghanistan.
Spc. Jonathan Batista died Sunday, when enemy forces attacked his unit with gunfire, according to the Department of Defense.
The 22-year-old Batista was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division at Fort Bragg. He was a native of New Jersey.
- Updated Tornado warnings issued for Duplin, Tyrrell, Dare counties.
- Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- UPDATE: No bomb discovered after threat made at West Craven Middle School
- Seven Springs man dies after fight with detention officers