FORT BRAGG, FAYETTEVILLE - Fayetteville police say a Fort Bragg soldier is dead after he was struck by a vehicle as he tried to cross a local street.
A statement from the Army post said 23-year-old Spec. Fernando Rodriguez of Brownsville, Texas, was attempting to cross Morganton Road when he was hit.
So far, no charges have been filed in Sunday's accident.
Rodriguez was a military police officer assigned to the 65th Military Police Company, 503rd Military Police Battalion, 16th Military Police Brigade. He arrived at Fort Bragg in January 2010.
Rodriguez was a graduate of the U.S. Army Airborne School. He previously deployed to Haiti for four months and his awards and decorations include an Army Achievement Medal.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating