FORT BRAGG - A Fort Bragg paratrooper has been killed in action in Afghanistan.
The Department of Defense said Thursday that Army Sgt. 1st Class Matthew I. Leggett died Wednesday. The 39-year-old from Ruskin, Florida, was assigned to the headquarters battalion of the 18th Airborne Corps. No details were provided about where or how Leggett was killed.
Leggett enlisted in the Army in May 1995 and had been based at Fort Bragg since 2012. He served three combat tours and was the recipient of numerous awards and decorations, including a Bronze Star Medal with one oak leaf cluster and a Purple Heart for wounds sustained in combat.
He is survived by his parents, Thea Marie Kurtz and Thomas Leggett.
- New Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte
- Manchester attack: Hunt for possible 2nd bomb under way