FORT BRAGG, N.C. - A Fort Bragg paratrooper from New York has died during a training accident.
The 82nd Airborne Division says 21-year-old Sgt. Shaina B. Schmigel of Medina, New York, was killed during an airborne operation using a parachute on Friday.
The cause of death is under investigation.
Schmigel was an intelligence analyst with the 37th Engineer Battalion, 2nd Brigade Combat Team. She joined the Army in 2010 and has been with the 2nd Brigade since 2011. Schmigel served a tour in Iraq with the brigade in 2011.
Schmigel's death is the first of a Fort Bragg soldier during an airborne operation since September.
- Updated Lawsuit: Mississippi deprives blacks of equal education
- Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Cops and Barbers works to bridge gap between GPD, community
- Local teacher plays role in development of US Forest Service museum
- Chocowinity soldier killed in action to be honored in NASCAR race