LAURINBURG, SCOTLAND COUNTY - Authorities say several members of a Fort Bragg honor guard are in critical condition after their van collided with a log truck while they were headed to a military funeral near Charlotte.
The state Highway Patrol says the nine members of the 82nd Airborne Division honor guard were on their way to a funeral in Indian Trail on Friday morning when their driver failed to yield the right of way near Laurinburg. Troopers say a tractor-trailer loaded with logs hit their van on the side.
Some soldiers were airlifted to UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill while others were taken to Scotland Memorial Hospital in Laurinburg. Four men, including the driver, were treated and released.
WRAL-TV reported that the driver of the Fort Bragg van was cited with failure to yield.
- Updated Court sets September 13 deadline for Clinton FBI emails
- Updated Kinston welcomes professional baseball back to Grainger Stadium
- Updated AP: Brazilian police charge Lochte with filing false report
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Men have 'gotta get over' their issues with equal pay
- Updated Trump: No legal status for undocumented immigrants