DURHAM COUNTY - Charlotte Hornets rookie and former North Carolina star guard P.J. Hairston has to appear in Durham County Court on misdemeanor charges of assault and battery following an altercation during a pickup basketball game.
Paul Sherwin, public information officer for the Durham County Sheriff's Office, says Hairston was issued a summons on Monday but will not be arrested.
Hairston's court date is Aug. 8.
Kentrell Barkley, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound 17-year-old rising senior at North Durham High School, says in court documents Hairston "punched him twice in the head" during a heated basketball game Sunday at the Durham YMCA.
Hairston, the 26th pick in the NBA draft, said on Twitter Monday, "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see."
The Hornets say they're looking into the matter.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms