HALIFAX COUNTY - Former Scotland Neck officer John P. Turner has been indicted with one count felony of involuntary manslaughter for the death of 61-year old Roger Anthony.
Halifax county court officials confirm the bill of indicted was sent on June 25th and was served on July6th.
Turner resigned from the Scotland Neck Police Department in January. Turner reported he tased Anthony because was under the influence of drug and alcohol not comply with is orders on November 21, 2011.
Autopsy reports show the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head after being tased and falling off of his bicycle.
Sister of Roger Anthony Blondine Anthony said the family is happy the case is finally coming along.
"As far as I know no one in the family has no animosity against this young man and because we feel justice will prevail," Anthony said.
Turner was placed under a $10,000 secured bond but has posted bail. Turner is scheduled to appear in court August 6th.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- State natural, cultural sites and military discounts for Memorial Day