RALEIGH - Former NC State head basketball coach Sidney Lowe was arrested Monday on charges he has failed to pay income taxes.
The 53 year old who is currently an assistant coach with the Utah Jazz coached the Wolfpack from 2006 to 2011.
The three misdemeanor counts of willful failure to file a North Carolina tax return cover the years 2009 though 2011.
Bond was set at $10,000.
During Lowe's tenure at NC State, he had an 86-78 overall record, but just 25-55 in Atlantic Coast Conference play. He inherited a program coming off five straight NCAA tournament trips, but he never finished higher than ninth in the ACC despite twice being picked to finish in the top third of the 12-team league.
His resignation in 2011 came less than a week after N.C. State closed its second losing season under the former point guard who led the Wolfpack to an improbable national championship in 1983.
Lowe was one of the most beloved figures in program history after being a part of the "Cardiac Pack" team that upset Houston on a last-play dunk to win the 1983 title under Jim Valvano.
- Updated Ryan Lochte to endorse crime prevention device
- New Beaufort County deputies arrest registered sex offender living in Chocowinity
- Updated Fire chief killed in workers' bus crash remembered as 'amazing'
- ECU professor predicts presidential election results
- Local pharmacist recommends ways to save on EpiPens