NEW BERN - Smoke could soon be seen rising from the Croatan National Forest as the U.S. Forest Service starts controlled burns in the amount of 25,000 acres.
The burns are planned for January. The burns are conducted to mimic what periodically happens in nature. Under the right conditions, fire benefits native tree and plant species.
The Forest Service says less than 1% of these burns turn into wildfires.
- New Second 15th Street widening project meeting slated for Monday
- New ECU to host four-day symposium focusing on migration issues
- Updated Crowds flock to Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con
- Updated Davis scores big in NBA All-Star Game
- Uber CEO orders 'urgent' investigation after sex harassment allegations