JACKSONVILLE, ONSLOW COUNTY - The food bank at New River Marine Corp Air Station is now open to furloughed workers.
Chaplain for the Air Station, Marc Massie said food has been coming off the shelves as quickly as it comes.
"We just felt there might be a need out there so we opened the food bank up to our furloughed civilian employees and the response has been overwhelming," Massie said.
Chaplain Massie said a lot of furloughed workers have told him the food bank has been very helpful so far.
"She was coming in saying how difficult it was because she hasn't had to do anything like this since she was young. I mean it's challenging on the," Massie said.
The air station plans on keeping the food back open to furloughed workers during the remainder of the government shutdown. They are accepting food donations but they cannot receive any monetary donations.
The food bank is in need of rice, oatmeal, peanut butter, canned meat, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, and juice boxes.
- New New Bern Police arrest man in early-morning shooting
- New Report of rabies reported in Cape Carteret
- Updated White House effort to justify travel ban causes growing concern for some intelligence officials
- New Response to drug activity leads to arrest
- Caught on video: Plane's landing gear collapses in Amsterdam