MCAS NEW RIVER, ONSLOW COUNTY - A food bank at MCAS New River Chapel has opened its doors to furloughed government employees.
Over 800 civilians have been furloughed at Camp Lejeune and New River,with another 300 people affected at Cherry Point.
The charity says since making its food available to furloughed families, their need has increased dramatically. While the chapel food bank still has food to support individuals, they are critically low on some items.
If you want to donate, the food bank is in need of the items below, but they are fully stocked on baby food, baby cereal and formula. They ask that you not donate cash at this time.
- Spaghetti sauce
- Peanut butter
- Juice boxes/juice
- Canned meat (chicken/turkey/tuna)
- Canned fruit or applesauce cups
- Ramen noodles
The chapel is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday and Sunday 9 a.m. to noon. People can donate or receive assistance during those times. For more information, you can call the chapel at 910-449-6801.
- Updated Gold Star mom on Kaepernick: I see a flag that draped my son's casket
- Sudan Shriners to hold fundraiser to assist Louisiana flood victims
- Clinton at fundraiser: 'I do not know which Donald Trump will show up' at debates
- Updated Trump disavows robo-call from David Duke
- Chocowinity commissioner speaks out after assault charges