KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - The National Weather Service has extended a Flood Warning for the Neuse River in Kinston.
The Flood Warning will last until Thursday morning, or until the alert is canceled.
A 10 a.m. Tuesday, the stage was 15.6 feet in the Neuse River, according to the NWS. Flood stage is 14 feet. Lowland flooding of the campground at the nature center can be expected, the NWS reported.
Caution is urged when walking near riverbanks. Flood waters will weaken the banks, making them dangerous. According to experts, most flood deaths occur in automobiles when people try to drive through flooded areas.
The NWS predicts that the river will fall below flood stage by Thursday morning.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday