KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - The National Weather Service has extended a Flood Warning for the Neuse River in Kinston.
The Flood Warning will last until Thursday morning, or until the alert is canceled.
A 10 a.m. Tuesday, the stage was 15.6 feet in the Neuse River, according to the NWS. Flood stage is 14 feet. Lowland flooding of the campground at the nature center can be expected, the NWS reported.
Caution is urged when walking near riverbanks. Flood waters will weaken the banks, making them dangerous. According to experts, most flood deaths occur in automobiles when people try to drive through flooded areas.
The NWS predicts that the river will fall below flood stage by Thursday morning.
- Updated Biden aims to reassure Turks of US support after failed coup
- Updated How should you talk to loved ones about their weight?
- Updated Oil billionaire: Trump didn't 'understand' simple fracking question
- Updated Thousands of fish die in Yellowstone River
- Inside the big banks' plan for new digital cash