RALEIGH - (AP) - Gov. Beverly Perdue ordered U.S. and North Carolina flags at state facilities lowered to half-staff Tuesday in recognition of Patriot Day, which was created in remembrance of the Sept. 11 attacks. President Barack Obama also declared Tuesday a National Day of Service and Remembrance.
Perdue also said state flags at the old Capitol building, Highway Patrol offices and state facilities in Nash County will be lowered in tribute to Trooper Gene DeMuth. He was killed Saturday when he attempted to deploy stop sticks during a high-speed chase. DeMuth's funeral is Wednesday.
- Updated 4 reasons why Venezuela became the world's worst economy
- Updated Mercedes-Benz unveils first pickup truck
- Updated Women now drink nearly as much alcohol as men, study finds
- Updated Eight more local counties among 13 additional to receive Disaster Food Assistance
- One of two workers to die in Boston trench collapse from New Bern