RALEIGH - (AP) - Gov. Beverly Perdue ordered U.S. and North Carolina flags at state facilities lowered to half-staff Tuesday in recognition of Patriot Day, which was created in remembrance of the Sept. 11 attacks. President Barack Obama also declared Tuesday a National Day of Service and Remembrance.
Perdue also said state flags at the old Capitol building, Highway Patrol offices and state facilities in Nash County will be lowered in tribute to Trooper Gene DeMuth. He was killed Saturday when he attempted to deploy stop sticks during a high-speed chase. DeMuth's funeral is Wednesday.
- Updated Orlando hospitals won't bill survivors of Pulse nightclub shooting
- Updated 12 killed in Kabul university attack
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizer hits the streets
- Clinton blasts Trump attacks on foundation
- New waterfront park and boat access is symbol of recovery, dedication planned Saturday