CARTERET COUNTY - A fisherman who disappeared in the water south of Portsmouth Island Monday afternoon has been identified.
Bill Vestal was a businessman from Burlington, North Carolina. A message on his company's website says the 57-year-old was lost at sea.
Carteret County 911 contacted the Coast Guard late Monday afternoon, reporting that a man went underwater while fishing and did not resurface.
The Coast Guard searched for about five hours, traveling 126 nautical miles, covering 35 square nautical miles looking for Vestal.
It ended the search Tuesday afternoon.
- Former Windsor police officer convicted for role in narcotics ring
- Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- 9-year-old girl dies following head on car collision
- Woman sent to the hospital following car crash with log truck
- Updated Police name Manchester bomber as 22-year-old Salman Abedi