CARTERET COUNTY - A fisherman who disappeared in the water south of Portsmouth Island Monday afternoon has been identified.
Bill Vestal was a businessman from Burlington, North Carolina. A message on his company's website says the 57-year-old was lost at sea.
Carteret County 911 contacted the Coast Guard late Monday afternoon, reporting that a man went underwater while fishing and did not resurface.
The Coast Guard searched for about five hours, traveling 126 nautical miles, covering 35 square nautical miles looking for Vestal.
It ended the search Tuesday afternoon.
- Italy earthquake survivors: "The future is finished"
- Updated Trump's immigration pivot a buzz kill for Coulter's book tour
- Updated Recovering heroin addict thanks officer who arrested her
- Updated John Krasinski on 'The Hollars': I 'stole' a trick from George Clooney
- Updated Bangladeshi police: Dhaka terror attack planner killed