CARTERET COUNTY - A fisherman who disappeared in the water south of Portsmouth Island Monday afternoon has been identified.
Bill Vestal was a businessman from Burlington, North Carolina. A message on his company's website says the 57-year-old was lost at sea.
Carteret County 911 contacted the Coast Guard late Monday afternoon, reporting that a man went underwater while fishing and did not resurface.
The Coast Guard searched for about five hours, traveling 126 nautical miles, covering 35 square nautical miles looking for Vestal.
It ended the search Tuesday afternoon.
- Updated Hope that someone gets my message in a bottle - and someone did ... 50 years later
- Updated Deputies looking to identify man wanted for questioning in fraud case
- Updated Mediterranean migrant deaths reach record level in 2016
- Updated Megyn Kelly's epic clash with Newt Gingrich
- Updated Dogs go on poop patrol to sniff out fecal bacteria