A fire leaves a family without their home, and their pets. Firefighters got the call around 8:30 Sunday morning about a two story house on fire.
It happened in Lenoir County, on Rolling Hills Road in the Deep Run area.
Sandy Bottom, South Woods, and Deer Creek Fire Department responded to the scene and stayed at the home until around noon.
Assistant Fire Chief for the Deer Creek Fire Department, Jon Whitfield, said wood chips inside a dog kennel outside the home caught fire from an unplugged heating lamp.
"From the looks of it, the bulb itself was burnt pretty bad and it either fell or came in contact with some of those shavings," Whitfield said.
Neighbor, Cheryl Williams, said this was alarming especially since it was windy the morning of the fire.
"That's the scary part. We're not too close to it, but there are houses next door and it could have spread," Williams said.
The fire mainly burned the outside of the home and the attic. Its deemed a total loss.
Officials said everyone got out okay, except for the family's two dogs. They were inside the home during the fire and didn't make it out.
The family declined to speak on camera, but said they are getting help. Members from the family's church housed them on Sunday.