ATLANTIC BEACH, CARTERET COUNTY - Atlantic Beach firefighters rescued a volunteer firefighter from the water Thursday afternoon. The rescue happened around 3 p.m. at the beach near the circle.
Grantsboro Fire Chief Monnie Golden, Jr., confirms the victim is a volunteer firefighter with his department - Larry Sparrow, 20.
The Carteret News-Times reports fire and rescue personnel were able to restore a pulse and a heartbeat to Sparrow after pulling him from the surf. He was transported to Carteret General Hospital. Atlantic Beach Fire Chief Adam Snyder said Sparrow was breathing on his own at that time.
Red flags were flying at the time, warning swimmers of rough ocean conditions.
- Updated China: Japanese military jets using 'dangerous' tactics
- Pipeline protesters forced back after 141 arrested
- WikiLeaks reveals campaign vexed by 'Bill Clinton Inc.'
- The Cubs and Indians get ready to battle it out in Game 3 of The World Series
- Early voting update: More than 12.6 million votes cast