BELL ARTHUR, PITT COUNTY - A firefighter is recovering from a broken leg after a wall collapsed on him during a house fire early Friday morning.
Charles Tripp of the Farmville Fire Department was hurt while fighting a house fire on the 5,600 block of Stantonsburg Road in Bell Arthur, between Greenville and Farmville. The fire was reported at about 3 a.m. Friday, said Bell Arthur Fire Chief Virgil O'Neal.
Tripp was pinned under a collapsed wall while fighting the fire and broke his leg, officials said. He had surgery at Vidant Medical Center and was in good condition.
The house where the fire happened is a total loss, investigators said. There is no word on a cause.
No one was home during the fire. Officials said they have not been able to get in touch with the homeowner.
No other injuries were reported.
The Bell Arthur Fire Department, the Farmville Fire Department, and another agency responded to the scene.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County