CHAPEL HILL, ORANGE COUNTY - Officials say a fire broke out in the attic of a dormitory at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
An alert posted by the school said firefighters and police officers responded to a fire Tuesday in the attic of Cobb Residence Hall.
The statement said smoke was causing visibility problems and traffic congestion. Motorists and pedestrians were being asked to avoid the area until scene is cleared.
Reports said the fire was extinguished at around 6 p.m. No injuries were reported.
A link on the school's website said the residence hall was built in 1952 and was renovated in 2005. The coed dorm holds 400 students, and is equipped with smoke detectors and alarms.
- Updated Amanda Knox documentary takes media to task
- Updated Obama waits impatiently for Bill Clinton on Air Force One
- Ryder Cup: Europe cuts US lead on opening day at Hazeltine
- Wells Fargo made me work overtime -- without extra pay
- Rangers officially complete purchase of Kinston franchise from Minor League Baseball