A Pitt County man lost the home he grew up in to a Thursday morning fire.
The mobile home, located at 5990 Gay Road, near Highway 222 in the town of Fountain, caught fire before 10 a.m. Thursday.
The man who lived there, Johnny Neal, said he wasn't home at the time of the blaze. But he said his girlfriend was inside. She did manage to escape safely though, Neal added.
"It could have been worse. She could have been in there trapped or whatever, couldn't get out," Neal said. "It just could have been bad. You know, things just happen."
No injuries were reported and no pets were inside. But investigators said the home is a total loss. They believed the fire started in the kitchen.
Neal said he had lived in the home everyday for the past 13 years, and that it belonged to his father, James Neal. The family said they have no insurance.