Fire chief: Kids playing with matches spark Beaufort County blaze
Investigators said a house fire that displaced a family of five in Beaufort County was caused by children playing with matches.
The fire happened at about 4:20 p.m. Thursday at the intersection of Aycock and East 6th Streets in Washington.
According to Chief Robbie Rose of Washington Fire-Rescue-EMS, two adults and three children lived at the home. When crews arrived at the scene, the front half of the house was fully engulfed in flames.
Firefighters were able to get the flames under control within 15 minutes, said Rose. But 25 percent of the home has fire damage and the rest has severe smoke damage.
Rose told NewsChannel 12 the fire was caused by children playing with matches and an old Christmas tree on the front porch.
No injuries were reported, Rose said. The Red Cross is helping the displaced family.
If you would like to help the family, please contact the Beaufort County Chapter of the Red Cross.
Copyright 2014 by WCTI12. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.