KNOTTS ISLAND, CURRITUCK COUNTY - An eastern North Carolina fire chief died Sunday after suffering a cardiac arrest during a fire incident.
Knotts Island Volunteer Fire Department Chief Scott Morrison was fighting a brush fire shortly after 3:15 p.m., according to a news release from Currituck County.
Morrison collapsed while fighting the fire, and was found to be in cardiac arrest, the release said.
Rescuers with Currituck EMS treated Morrison at the scene and on the way to a hospital in Virginia.
Attempts to revive the chief were not successful.
He was pronounced dead at 5:30 p.m.
His age was not immediately available.
- Updated Tornado watch for parts of Martin County; tornado warning for most of ENC
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Updated Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn