DUPLIN COUNTY - A fire broke out at a rendering plant north of Rose Hill in Duplin County Friday morning, according to Rose Hill Fire Chief Clayton Herring.
Officials said the fire was reported at 3:36 a.m. Friday at Valley Protein rendering plant. An agar (a piece of equipment) stopped working and caught on fire, according to the chief. Officials said when they arrived on scene, a production room was fully engulfed in flames
Rendering plants like Valley Protein, get rid of animal by-products and restaurant grease.
Chief Herring said the cause of the fire was a spontaneous combustion. He said no one was hurt.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen