HAVELOCK - Eight people narrowly escaped a fast spreading house fire on Thanksgiving night in Craven County.
After eating dinner and going to bed, the Holden family was awakened by fire in the house at about 10:20p.m.
The family got out as fast as the could, by the time they got to a ditch outside, flames were already coming out of the house.
"Other than those clothes, everything's gone. Beds are gone, kitchen table's gone," Candace Holden said. "I had a kid under one arm and a TV under the other and I threw them both out the door."
Seven people lived in the house which is on 122 Karol Dr. According to family members, a visiting 6-year-old relative lit a comforter on fire with a lighter.
Havelock firefighters had the blaze out in about 30 minutes. It was enough time for the family to lose one of their two cats. Fire Chief Rick Zaccardelli confirmed the fire was caused by a lighter the child was using; the fire has been ruled accidental.
The Red Cross is currently housing the family in a hotel while they get back on their feet.
- New Second 15th Street widening project meeting slated for Monday
- New ECU to host four-day symposium focusing on migration issues
- Updated Crowds flock to Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con
- Updated Davis scores big in NBA All-Star Game
- Uber CEO orders 'urgent' investigation after sex harassment allegations