The North Carolina Department of Transportation is experiencing the immediate impact of the federal shutdown.
As this time there are 65 full-time NCDOT positions and six part time positions that are fully or partially funded by federal dollars, according to NCDOT officials. Because of the shutdown, Human Resources was instructed to furlough 22 NCDOT employees immediately.
NCDOT is still working to identify the potential impact to any public transportation, rail, aviation, highway or bike and pedestrian projects that require input or approval from furloughed federal employees. That could impact any state projects that require federal permits and work supported by federal agencies, like dredging projects.
NCDOT will continue to work closely with federal partners, monitor the situation closely, and update the public as we learn more about the potential impact.
- Updated Can Tokyo avoid the curse of the Olympics?
- Updated Trump: 'There could certainly be a softening' on immigration stance
- After gay couple's home is vandalized, a community rallies
- Potential Solar Farm stirring up controversy in Jones County
- Onslow County teachers participate in MindUP training