FAYETTEVILLE - Fayetteville police say one of their officers has shot and killed a suspect during a traffic stop.
Police spokesman Gavin MacRoberts says the shooting happened shortly after 6 a.m. Thursday when an office pulled over a sports utility vehicle.
MacRoberts says during the traffic stop, the officer shot and killed the suspect, who was armed.
Twenty-two-year-old Nijza Lamar Hagans of Fayetteville died at the scene.
MacRoberts did not provide details on the traffic stop or the circumstances of the shooting.
The State Bureau of Investigation is looking into the shooting.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms