A Craven County father diagnosed with late-stage cancer is working to fulfill his bucket list. But the list doesn't focus just on him; it's aimed at benefiting his two children.
Wayne Ward, of Havelock, is a single father of his 12-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son. But in December, he was diagnosed with stage IV stomach cancer.
"Never in my life, I thought I was going to have this," Ward told NewsChannel 12. "I thought I was just going to be strong, working all the time, helping other people. Now, it's them helping me instead of me helping them."
Ward's cancer has now spread to his liver. Doctors told him he has six months to a year left to live.
With time running out, Ward has created a bucket list of things he wants to do for his children. Items on the list include a pamper day for his daughter and a vehicle for his son.
"Trying to get my son a nice Durango to drive because he starts drivers ed. And then it's Disney World and raising money up so they got money for when something happens to me," Ward said.
Other items on the list include taking his children to the Statue of Liberty, getting family portraits done, and taking his kids to a Build-A-Bear Workshop.
Wayne has been able to cross off most of the 22 items on the bucket list except for a few things, such as taking his son to a pro wrestling match because of financial issues.
But Ward will soon be able to fulfill that dream, thanks to three members of Shockwave Wrestling Entertainment in Jacksonville.
"The minute we heard about Wayne's situation and found out that he was a wrestling fan, we automatically wanted to jump on board and try to help him," said Rick Garrett of Shockwave Wrestling.
They are organizing a benefit pro wrestling match for the Ward family, set to be held on March 29 at the Havelock Recreation Center. All of the money raised will be used to help pay for Ward's medical bills and finish his bucket list for his kids.
Tickets, which cost $10 each, will officially go on sale on March 1 at the following locations:
Akikio’s Alterations – Havelock
Atlantic Auto Salvage – Newport
B&B Outdoor Power – Newport
Merv’s Joke Shop - Morehead City
Quality Equipment – Jacksonville
Tickets can also be ordered online beginning Wednesday, Feb. 26 at feeltheshock.com.
In addition, an online fund has been set up for Ward on giveforward.com. CLICK HERE to donate.
App users, copy and paste this address into your browser:
Below is Ward's full bucket list that he posted on his Facebook page:
MY BUCKET LIST / coffee can
Also know as my life list, things I would like to do, see, feel, learn and experience before I die.
1. would like to get my son a Durango or a car
2. Disney world with my kids
3. go to WrestleMania wwe live in NC
4. go to a Nascar race Daytona or charlotte
5. Nascar hall of fame
6. take the kids to the Stature of Liberty
7. meet Dale JR , Stone Cold Steve Austin, Joe Montana and Dog the bounty hunter
8. have family portraits done
9. pamper my daughter for a day of shopping, hair and nails
10. would like to see Niagara falls
11. day out with the kids for ice-cream
12. go to a football game Kansas city chiefs, tar heels
13. go to the Kansas city chiefs arena
14. be on the PRICE IS RIGHT
15. take my kids to amusement park like 6 flags
16. blue ridge parkway NC
17. go to lizard lick towing and meet them all
18. bring the kids to build a bear
19. just going out and doing things with my kids like football, mini golf, go karts, bowling, fishing etc....
20. bring the kids to chuck e cheese
21. A FAMILY REUNION
22. Would like to fall in love and get married